There is a bit of a heat wave expected over the next few days and things are going to be hot! You need to make sure you properly hydrate before, during and after workouts. Water is one of most essential things for body function so please make sure you all stay properly hydrated. We also sell coconut water at the gym and it is an excellent hydration tool after a WOD.
Check out some tips below from CrossFit Maximus:
General Guidelines for Fluid Needs During Exercise
While specific fluid recommendations aren’t possible due to individual variability, most athletes can use the following guidelines as a starting point, and modify their fluid needs accordingly.
Hydration Before Exercise
- Drink about 15-20 fl oz, 2-3 hours before exercise
- If not acclimated to warm or hot environments or if you have been training over several days in this type of environment, we encourage you to put a little extra salt on your food at meal times to increase the sodium in the tissues to support muscle function.
- Drink 8-10 fl oz 10-15 min before exercise
Hydration During Exercise
- Drink 8-10 fl oz every 10-15 min during exercise
- If exercising longer than 90 minutes, drink 8-10 fl oz of a sports drink (with no more than 8 percent carbohydrate) every 15 – 30 minutes.
Hydration After Exercise
- Weigh yourself before and after exercise and replace fluid losses.
- Drink 20-24 fl oz water for every 1 lb lost.
- Consume a 4:1 ratio of carbohydrate to protein within the 2 hours after exercise to replenish glycogen stores.
CrossFit – Hydration by CrossFit Endurance
Workout of the Day
Buy In/Warm Up
Tabata Push ups
20 Switch Lunges
400 meter sprint/Burpee wallballs 20/12
One person runs while the other one does as many Burpee wall balls as they can. Score is the max number of wall balls combined by your team.
Roll Lower Back
Roll Quads Continue reading